Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Little Medical History

A little over 10 years ago not long after my 43rd birthday I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. I had really been feeling very tired all the time, constantly thirsty, and would have to urinate badly about every thirty minutes. Well my father and mother were type II diabetics so I new what the symptoms were and I had a strong suspicion what was wrong so I went to my family doctor and sure enough my blood sugar was 350. So he sent me home with a prescription for Metformin 500 mg twice a day. Also just being told to lay off sugar products, white bread and potatoes, the three staples of my diet. About a year after that I was also diagnosed with Hypertension and given a blood pressure medicine called Avalide 300. I did pretty well for about 3 to 4 years until my blood sugar started to rise again so my family doctor sent me to a internal medicine doctor who worked mostly with diabetics and he added avandia to my medicines which did bring my blood sugar down. From there I also had to go to 1000 mg of metformin. Then when the scare came out about avandia they changed me to Byetta (shot) and 1000mg of metformin, this was about 4 or 5 years ago. This worked to keep my blood sugar kind of in check but I still was not feeling the best. Then in June of 2008 my blood sugar started rise past 200 and 250 again, so I was changed to Lantus shots, this is a long lasting insulin that is given at night before bedtime. I started with 20 units and by April of 2010 I was taking 60 units of insulin each night and 2000mg of metformin a day, blood pressure meds, and cloresteral meds also the doctor wanted me to start taking an asprin every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment